The Malthouse Story


view our stalls

Timeline of The Malthouse since 1669

Happenings you shouldn't miss in the weeks ahead.

1669



Hythe Brewery was founded in 1669 and  it was decided to have part of the brewery in the high street, which was the Malthouse.  The building is much the same as it was then, although part of the building has since been demolished.  It holds a lot of character with massive beams and old stone walls. When the brewery began the slated slabbed floors would be spread with damp barley, which germinated to form malt. This was dried in a kiln then brewed with hops to make beer.   


James Pashley  the founder of the brewery and builder of the Malthouse was a local resident. When Pashley died the brewery was taken over by the family named Friend.

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

1801


Ownership was taken over by the Mackeson family

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

1847


Owned by Henry Mackeson, Brewer, High Street, Hythe

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

1899


Pale and family who were ale brewers, maltsters, & wine and spirit merchants joined Mackeson & Co  to become part of  the Hythe Brewery

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

1907


The production of Mackeson's  Milk Stout began.  Each pint was said to contain as much energising carbohydrate

as 10 oz of dairy milk. This stout was to become their most famous product

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

1929​


Mackeson's become part of the Whitbread Brewery

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

1932


The kiln was demolished and the Malthouse was used as a bonded warehouse for the storage of whisky and other strong alcohol

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

1968​


Production ended at Hythe Brewery - most of which is no longer standing.

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

1972


Robert and Claudia Maxtone- Graham  (who are the current owners) bought the Malthouse building. The garden

that is there today was bought separately when the council decided it would not be needed for road widening.

It was in this year that it was decided to convert the building into an antiques market. After much work cutting through enormous beams by hand , Robert and his builder opened up the centre of the building to create suitable spaces for individual stalls to be situated. A second staircase was also built.

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

1974


Local people had become aware of the intent to create an antiques centre and many reserved stalls in advance.

On the 28th June 1974 the antiques market opened it's doors to the public with several stalls let.

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

Today


The Malthouse is still open after over 40 years of trading. 

16600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

the malthouse story

1669 Hythe brewery was founded

1801 Ownership taken over by the Mackeson family

1847 Owned by Henry Mackeson, Brewer



Adverts for the famous Mackeson's Stout 

and Hythe Ales

Name of Person

We have had a wonderful succession of helpers and stall holders over the years whose loyalty and goodfellowship have been greatly appreciated.

Robert and Claudia Maxtone-Graham